Important Sports Festivals of the world:
- Olympic is the world’s most prestigious, international sports festival. These game originated in the ancient city of Greece.
Modern Olympic Games:
- Frenchman Baron de Coubertin is known as the father of modern Olympic Games which started in 1896, in Athens. These Games are held every four years, since then.
- The winter Olympic games were started separately in 1924 in France.
Some important fact about Olympic game:
- The Modern Olympic Games were held at Athens, capital of Greece in 1896.
- India has been never hosted the Olympic Games in its history.
- Last Olympic Game was held in 2012 in London and was the 30th edition of the Game.
- The Olympic flag is white in colour and has the emblem five rings, embedded at the center of the flag.
- The Emblem is made up of five intertwined rings having different colours which represent five continents of the world.
- Olympic motto is “Citius, Altius, Furtius” which means swifter, higher, and stronger.
- The Commonwealth games were held first in 1930 at Canada. They are also held every four years, midway between Olympic Games.
- Asian games were held at Asian countries. J.L.Nehru was instrumental in giving shape to Asian games. First Asian Games were held at New Delhi in 1951 and since then, these games have been taking place every four years.
- It is related to cricket, almost all the sporting events has world cup generally conducted with an interval of every four years.
List of important International Cups, Trophies and Associated Sports Disciplines:
|Name of Cup/trophy||Associated sports|
|Davis Cup/Federation (Women)||Lawn Tennis|
|Wimbledon Trophy||Law tennis|
|Australian Open||Lawn tennis|
|US Open, French open||Lawn tennis|
|Thomas Cup (Men)||Badminton|
|Uber Cup (Women)||Badminton|
|William Jones Cup||Basketball|
|Sultan Azlan Shah Cup||Hockey|
List of Important national Cups, trophies and Associated Sports Disciplines:
|Name of the Cup/trophy||Associated sports|
|Shish mahal Trophy||Cricket|
|Ranji Trophy (National title)||Cricket|
|Vijay Hazarey Trophy||Cricket|
|Santosh memorial Trophy||Football|
|Sanjay Gold Cup||Football|
|Nizam Gold Cup||Football|
|DR. B.C Roy Trophy ( National Junior Championship)||Football|
|Rangaswami Cup (National Title)||Hockey|
|Lady Ratan Tata Trophy||Hockey|
|Aga Khan Gold Cup||Hockey|
|Guru Nanak Championship ( All-India Women)||Hockey|
|Dhyan Chand Trophy||Hockey|
|Murugappa Gold Cup||Hockey|
Important terms Associated with sports disciplines:
|Sports name||Term associated with sports disciplines|
|Badminton||Luv, deuce, drop, smash, double touch|
|Basketball||Pivot, dribble, basket, block, held ball|
|Billiards||Spider, baulk cue, scratch, cannon,|
|Boxing||Hook, rounds, punch, Jab, countdown, knock-outs, all the weight, (Flyweight, middleweight, heavyweight, etc)|
|Bridge||Tricks, trump, suite, little slam, rubber|
|Chess||Knight, king, sicilian , defence, move, gambit, checkmate, rook, stalemate, queen, bishop, pawn|
|Cricket||Gylly, hat-trick, pull, beamer, hook, googly, flick, follow-on, maiden, declare,|
|Golf||Tee, birdie, club, course, Iron, eagle, links, caddie, putt, hole, bogey, force, Nibilic|
|Hockey||Center, penalty-stroke, free hit, foul, carry, stick, corner, dribble, trapping|
|Table tennis||Deuce, drop, spin, smash, let|
|Tennis||Grand slam,lob, ace, passing shot, top-spin, forehand, crosscourt, deuce, down the line, slice|
|Volleyball||Heave, serve, blocking, point, doubling|